Monday, September 12, 2011

Bringing new life to leftovers: Taco salad

With just two people in the house, no matter what I make, I always have leftovers.  And sometimes I get sick of eating those leftovers all the time.  So every once and a while, I will take my leftovers and turn them into something else.  Today I took leftovers from my taco dinner last week and turned them into a lovely taco salad.

Taco Salad
Makes one serving
Start to finish: 5 minutes

3 oz leftover taco meat
1/2 oz of shredded cheddar
5 tortilla chips
1 small tomato, diced
2 cups lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup chunky salsa
jalepeno slices (optional)

The assembly of this is pretty straight forward.  Microwave the taco meat for 30 seconds.

Add the meat and cheese to the lettuce you will have chopped up into bite size pieces.

Don't forget those crunchy tortilla chips.  Crumble them up into bite size pieces for added crunch.

Mmm it looks good already doesn't it?

For some added color top this salad with tomatoes.  Then for extra spice add jalepenos and the salsa of your choice.  Using salsa as your dressing will be just as flavorful as regular dressing with a fraction of the calories,, making this salad healthier than some.
Such a delicious way to revamp leftovers, and it will probably take you less time to make than it did for me to make this post.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,

    Love your work on My Own Test Kitchen! And I wanted to personally invite you to be one of the top cooking Advisors on ShopSquad, a free shopping advice website where shoppers and your readers can ask Advisors (i.e. you!) for advice.

    If you recommend something that is purchased, from cookware to appliances to kitchen gadgets, you get a percentage of the sale. You're already sharing your expertise through your blog, so why not earn more money for it? You can also earn $5 for each of your readers who signs up.

    Read our great press coverage (http://www.shopsquad.com/about?vsrc=fd921) or learn how ShopSquad works (http://www.shopsquad.com/howitworks?vsrc=fd921). When you're ready, sign up free at www.shopsquad.com.

    Feel free to ask me any questions: marshall@shopsquad.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete