Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What to do with Leftover Fruit Salad

A few days ago, I made an amazing fruit salad.

After I made said fruit salad, I discovered that my husband does not like fruit salad.  Needless to say, even though I ate it every day for several days, I was unable to consume this massive amount of fruit all by myself.  So, when the fruit salad looked like it was on its last leg, I got creative.

The first thing I tried to do was make a fruit smoothie.  Normally you wouldn't think to put grapes, apple, pineapple, oranges, strawberries and kiwi in a smoothie but I figured fruit is fruit right?

Fruit Salad Smoothie
Makes 1 smoothie
Start to finish: 5 minutes

1 cup leftover fruit salad
1/4 cup organic, non-fat
1 banana
1 oz juice from fruit salad

This recipe starts with spooning out a cup of the leftover fruit salad.

Take this and all your other ingredients and put it into a blender/Magic Bullet.  You may have noticed that over the last couple days your fruit salad has accumulated some juice at the bottom.  I used this juice to loosen up the smoothie.

You will have to be patient while you puree this.  The apples and grapes have skins that need plenty of time to breakdown into the smoothie.

Boom.  Done.  Delicious.  Moving on to my next idea.

Mixed Fruit Popsicles
Makes 3 popsicles
Start to finish: 5 minutes

1 cup leftover fruit salad
1 oz leftover fruit juice

Again with the spooning of the fruit, the pouring of the juice, and the blending in the bullet.  Pour the mixture into three popsicle molds (readily available just about anywhere during the summer).

Freeze your popsicle molds overnight and enjoy anytime you want a healthy sweet treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment