Monday, August 15, 2011

Pork Fried Rice

I love takeout fried rice, but it is super hard to make at home if you don't have a personal hibachi chef in your pantry.  I have tried many times and the flavor is always off.  It just doesn't taste the same.  However, I am stubborn so I keep making it again and again.  When I made this, I was more just trying to use up miscellaneous ingredients than anything else, and what I ended up with was quite delicious!  Maybe all this time I've just been trying to hard?  Makes you wonder.



Pork Fried Rice
Makes 4 main course servings
Start to finish: 30 minutes

2 pork loin chops
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup instant brown rice
1.75 cups water
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp ground ginger
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 eggs, scrambled
3/4 cup frozen diced carrots
3/4 cup frozen green beans, cut into small pieces
3-4 green onions for garnish

Bring 1.75 cups of water to a boil and cook the instant brown rice as directed.  When it is done, set it aside.

Heat one tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Season your chops with salt and pepper before laying them in the skillet.  Brown on each side for three minutes, turn the heat down to medium and wait for the chops to come up to 145 degrees.

Remove from heat and let them rest for several minutes so the juices can redistribute.  When they are cooled, chop them into bite size pieces.  Go ahead and chop your carrot and green beans as well.

With the leftover oil still in the pan, add in a teaspoon of oil and bring it up to medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and saute for one minute.  Add another teaspoon of oil with the vegetables and saute for two minutes.  Then add the final teaspoon of oil when you add the rice and pork.  After you toss everything around and let the rice brown for a minute or two, add the soy sauce.

Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover the skillet while you scramble your eggs.

When you're ready to eat, add the egg to the rice and top with green onion slices.
 This is really a one pot meal so make sure you put a heaping serving on your plate.  Egg rolls would be nice here, wouldn't they?  Maybe next time...

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I need you to come over to my house and make it for me. The stuff I make never turns out as perfect and beautiful as yours! I guess though it's good to have something to aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! By the way, I really like the changes you have made to your site.

    ReplyDelete